Maybe you asking right now, Why you need to learn SEO?. Well, If you are a web developer I think SEO is an essential skill you need to have in your profile, not because is a plus to your curriculum, is because can be the variable to the success or the fail of your project.
Before everything, you may are asking, what the f*#k is SEO?
Well, SEO is the way you use the pieces of knowledge of how works the search engine like Google or Bing to increase the traffic to your site and have more visits or potential clients.
Almost all kind of project that involves a creation of a website needs to have visibility on the web and if you don’t believe is necessary, you could be losing a good opportunity to increase your business.
Today day, everybody has a smartphone and the people use to search for information at any time and every moment, for a simple example, suppose if somebody is looking for a fast food restaurant in your city is very possible that check google and type something like “fast food restaurants in Santo Domingo” or only “fast food restaurant”, the search engine will show the most relevant information and if your site doesn’t have good SEO strategy is very possible that doesn’t appear on the result list.
The process of apply SEO on a website is a combination of many tasks. A basic implementation has the following steps.
Define a Strategy
First of all, you need to define the objective of your website. So in this step in necessary to identify:
- Who is your audience? What they need and what products or services they are looking for.
- The objective of the business: What is the main goal and what they expect to have with the SEO implementation.
- The persons that are going to be involved in the process: The employees that are going to support you to obtain the information needed to complete the SEO strategy.
- Define the kind of content you’re going to publish: What the content is about? in this step is important to check what is relevant to the users and what are the trends of your audience what they are looking for on the internet.
- Check who are your competitors: recognize who are your main competitors and check what they do to have a good ranking on search engine.
The keywords are the words that users use to search on search engine. Is important to select the correct keywords that match with the market that is searching a certain topic. The process of keywords research is considered one of the more important to apply for SEO because is when you make the investigation of the market and business context to understand how the clients search your product on the internet, then you can adapt your page with the content that satisfied with that search.
There are some free tools like keyword planner in Google Adwords and Google Trends that can help you to make a research about what keywords are using the users and wish one are more relevant to your content.
When you complete your keywords research is the moment of verifying is the content of your website match with that keywords, for that, you need to check each page of your site and verify that the information that you bring is relevant to the user that search specific keyword or phrase.
The main goal in this process is to create content with quality that satisfied the search of the user, try to don’t focus to alter the content or structure or your page to get more visits, is more important to get the correct users that can be potential clients. The search engine algorithm is smart and if you try to improve your position on the result with content that has poor of quality then you can have a bad effect on the ranking of your site.
Link building is the process of acquiring hyperlinks from other websites to your own. This is important because if other sites have links to your website, help the search engine to see that your page have relevant content for the users. Each link is considered like a vote of confidence from one site to other.
Resolve Technical Issues
In this case, when we talk about technical issues we refer those thinks you can modify on your page that can help to rank better, this process is usually called On-site SEO that refers to optimizing both the content and HTML source code of a page.
There are many factors that can affect the way your website is shown to search engine, but here is a summary of the more important:
- Uniquely valuable: the content of each page needs to be unique and don’t have duplicate content.
- Provides phenomenal UX: the interface needs to be user-friendly.
- Crawler/bot accessible: use the best practices to allow the search engine robots to crawl, index and rank your site.
- Keyword-targeted: check that keywords match with the content of the page.
- Built to be shared through social networks:
- Multi-device ready: your site have to display well on all devices desktop, mobile, and tablets.
If you want to learn in more details about how to apply the SEO on your site, check this article: On-site SEO.
The main idea here is that you need to be sure that your website is optimized for SEO in order to allow the search engines to understand it’s structure and more importantly, that understand easily what is about.